An ultra low light camera can have many uses. But there are four favorite types of applications for a low light CCTV camera. As the name implies these cameras can provide vision during the night time, or in environments where the light levels are very low. The top cameras on the market are even able to transform night in day. How? They provide clear images like those of the day, and you will be able to see every detail that you could normally do only during day time. So, the most common applications of these cameras are:
• Law enforcement. The law does not sleep. Be it day or night, if there is the need for law enforcement, then it will happen. And the best tools that the authorities can use in these situations are cameras. Especially during the night, when a low light camera can provide a lot of help in catching the offenders.
• Military transport. Military transports must be guarded 24 hours a day until they reach the destination. But the same problem can arise again. During the night, the visibility will be extremely low, and the change to meet an ambush is much higher. For this reason, military transports use low light cameras to detect any potential danger long before it appears
• Aviation. The most important factor in the aviation industry is safety. For this reason, there is a need for extensive prevention methods. One of the most efficient ones is a low light camera during the night. The ability to detect any potential danger is mandatory. Low light cameras save a lot of lives in the aviation industry.
• Perimeter security. The last common use of these cameras is in perimeter security applications. The best examples of these applications are prisons. The riskiest period during which convicts can try to escape is during the night. Although the prisons need to have the lights opens 24 hours, but a low light camera is a much more efficient method. There will be no difference between night and day you’re your surveillance system.
A low light CCTV camera is not the only solution that you have to deal with night time surveillance or low light environments. For many applications, the low light cameras can be changed with thermal cameras. But you need to keep in mind that not every application can benefit from this type of change. For example, in the aviation industry, the use of thermal alternatives will not be as efficient as the low light cameras.
Three different technologies can be used for thermal cameras. The first one is uncooled thermal technology, and it can be used for low and medium-range without any problems. But the results for long-range are mediocre at best. If you want a thermal vision for long-range applications, then you will need to use cooled thermal technology. But this technology is the most expensive one due to the need for regular maintenance. So, you can also use the uncooled thermal technology that is somewhat in between the other two. In some cases, you can get the benefits offered by the cooled thermal technology at the price of the uncooled thermal technology.
In comparison with the low light cameras, the thermal alternatives offer several advantages. The biggest one is the ability to detect different types of targets. Humans and vehicles are easier to detect with a thermal camera. So, if you need a surveillance system with a focus on detection, then it may be better to use this type of camera instead of the low light alternatives. For this reason, the limitary often use thermal vision cameras instead of the low light ones.
But thermal vision cameras are not better in every way in comparison with the 4k ultra low light cameras . This camera also has several advantages that make the optimal solution for some applications. The two main advantages are:
• Colors. The most advanced low light cameras are no longer limited to white and black. They are now able to film in color. Offering you footage that can reach the same quality of those of a normal camera. This is a big advantage against the thermal cameras that need to use a fused image to be able to offer the same results. So, if the application needs low light surveillance, but the colors are still an essential factor then your best alternative is to use this type of camera.
• Details. Another advantage that low light cameras have over the thermal vision cameras are the details that they can provide. For example, through the vision of a thermal camera, you will not be able to distinguish the face of a person. On the other hand, if you use a low light camera that can film in colors, then you will be able to clearly see the face of any person that goes through the perimeter.
Now that you know what your alternatives are, how should you choose? Well, the first step that you need to take is to find out the needs of your application. Simply saying that you need low light vision is not enough. You need to find out if it is more important to see the details or if the detection ability is on top of that. Do not forget that you can even combine these types of cameras. And through image fusion, you will be able to get both the detection and the detail benefits from your surveillance system. You also need to research the range required by the systems. Keep in mind that there are many different models of both thermal and low light cameras. And to be able to find the best ones for your needs, you must do your research thoroughly.