From the many CCTV with thermal imaging, the cooled thermal cameras are the ones with the best technology. There are three different types of thermal technology. And each one of them has different purposes. So, you should not focus only on the performance of the cameras. But also, on the needs of your applications. Sometimes, the best cameras may even perform much worse than those that have a lower performance but use different technology. You can choose from three technology and use the cameras with the ones that satisfy your needs.
• Uncooled thermal technology. The first one to be discovered and implemented is uncooled technology. Nowadays, the performance of this technology is much lower than its alternatives. But this does not mean that it is useless. It has certain advantages that you should not ignore. If your application needs cameras for low or mid-range, then the performance of the uncooled technology is the same as the rest. Also, it performs better in colder climates than the rest.
• Cooled thermal technology. This technology is the newest and the one that offers the best performance. Especially at long range. It provides the ability to create high-quality images that are very detailed, even in difficult weather conditions. Because it is relatively new, the cooled technology is not optimized at its maximum capacity. And you will need to perform regular maintenance for the cameras that use it.
• Advanced uncooled thermal technology. As you can see, the two technologies mentioned above can be considered at the ends of the spectrum. For this reason, the need for a technology that can fill the gap between the two has appeared. The advanced uncooled technology offers much better specs than the simple version, and it can perform as good as the cameras that use the cooled thermal technology in some cases. But it will not cost you as much as the said technology.
The first advantage of the cooled thermal cameras is their performance. The maximum range of these cameras can reach up to 960mm, and they have been able to provide a high-quality image that is very detailed from a very long distance away. This makes these types of cameras the perfect alternative for applications that require long-distance surveillance.
Another advantage of these cameras is their ability to perform in challenging conditions. Unlike other alternatives, the cameras that use the cooled thermal technology can provide very accurate and detailed images even when the weather condition is unfavorable. This ability to adapt can be extremely useful and needed in many types of applications.
On the other hand, this technology also has its disadvantages. From a performance standpoint, it’s range can also be a disability. How so? Well, their performance in the low-range will drop to a large degree. Do not use the lens is adapted for long-range surveillance for low range surveillance. Otherwise, you will have the surprise that the images that you will get will have low quality.
The second disadvantage of these cameras is the need for regular maintenance. The technology itself requires it, and if you want to maintain the performance of these cameras, then you will need to take care of this problem. But the cost of this process is not negligible, and this will conclude with a high cost for the surveillance system. You can say that the overall price of these cameras will rise, even more, being incomparable with other camera models.
The two other models of CCTV with thermal imaging are those that use uncooled and advanced uncooled thermal technologies. Both of them have their own advantages and disadvantages that make them usable in specific situations and conditions. Each technology specializes in different types of applications. Although there are common uses for these types of cameras, there are also other types of applications specific to each technology.
• Portable surveillance. As you can imagine, uncooled thermal technology is the perfect alternative for this type of application. The surveillance distance is quite low, and the technological requirements will allow you to use these types of cameras at their full capacity. Using any other alternative will not only increase the price. But you may even get worse results than you could get from the uncooled cameras.
• Homeland security. Most applications in this category need a surveillance range that is mid to long. And they do not need top-notch technology. So, you should use cameras that use advanced uncooled thermal technology. This will not only provide you with the best results possible. But will also maintain your costs in the desired range. You will not need to pay an extravagant price for the cameras that use the cooled thermal technology, which will provide almost the same results.
As you can see, there is no best technology. All of them have their own advantages and disadvantages. So, you won’t be able to find a universal thermal camera that can be used for all purposes. Each technology was designed for different types of applications and environments. All you can do is to decide which one is the best alternative for your specific applications. So, instead of searching for the best cameras, it will be more productive to research your needs and find out which option can cover all of them for you.
Keep in mind that for each of the technologies mentioned above, you will be able to find a high number of camera models from which you can choose from. So, after you have found out your needs, you should search through all the available models until you find the ones that will produce the best results for you. Take this step by step, and do not rush the process. Only by doing this can you guarantee that you will find the best solution for your needs.